November 30, 2021, 02:08:04 PM

Author Topic: [Idea] Spawnprotection for WCS  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Manifest

• Race & effect creator
  • Level 7 Expert
  • Content creator for the WCS version by ThaPwned.
[Idea] Spawnprotection for WCS
« on: January 27, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »
Everyone who have had a WCS server at one point and tried adding spawn protection to it have most likely noticed that you would have to make compromises to your WCS modification in one or multiple ways. The reason for this is that the spawn protection plugin was most likely not made with WCS in mind, and therefore it would either disrupt the player's coloring ruining invisibility, adjust the health of the person which ruins all additional health skills, or uses godmode in the beginning of the round which can cause issues with immortality ultimates, and many other similar WCS-breaking issues.

Due to this I have tried to craft a perfectly constructed concept for a spawn protection plugin that would be aimed at WCS servers. I would like to hear you guys out on the matter, if you have anything to add onto the idea, or can see any issues using this on a regular WCS server. We would like to have your opinion on this, as we might end up adding it in to the new WCS version.

WCS Spawnprotection!
The player will be immune to damage by prehooking the damage taken and subtracting the damage taken, before it actually happens. This way it will not conflict with godmode or evasion.

When someone shoots at a protected target they will receive a centertell, message saying. "This target is spawn protected for: [time] seconds"

The person who is protected will have a centertell message, counting down till the protection ends.

If the protected target fires a shot, attacks with their knife, uses ultimate or an ability the spawnprotection will end.

Upon the spawnprotection's expiration the protected target will get a centertell saying "Your spawnprotection has faded!"

Using SourcePython's "TraceAttack" might be really useful in creating this as it will prevent possible slowdowns and also avoid the player getting blood decals on their player model when being shot at during the spawnprotection period.
"BRAVORA: Bruh it is fucking operation crystal night when you are approving races."

Offline Muerte

• Administrator
  • Level 7 Expert
  • Crew: Fortitude
    • Fortitude
Re: [Idea] Spawnprotection for WCS
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 03:03:27 PM »
Seems like a great idea overall, appart from the user message ("The person who is protected will have a centertell message, counting down till the protection ends.") because that could become rather annoying. It could also conflict with other centertell messages (e.g. "You are now the mole").
Anyways why you all code so late? Or early? Don't you guys sleep at all?
Sleep? What's that? Just put a wire up your arse and charge while you code during the night. Doesn't all do that, or is it just me??

Offline WCS - Wookie

• Level 6 Experienced
  • Qualified Teacher, working in IT and loving WCS.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:21:50 PM »
Overall I think this is an excellent idea and one that I would love to see implemented.

Like La Muerte said however it could get rather annoying to have the message counting down every time you spawned. I would recommend having one command on spawn that prints to the chat box You have x seconds of spawn protection.
If you like WCS and are from AUS/NZ drop by our server to take a look.

Offline Manifest

• Race & effect creator
  • Level 7 Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 10:28:06 PM »
Appart from the user message ("The person who is protected will have a centertell message, counting down till the protection ends.") because that could become rather annoying. It could also conflict with other centertell messages (e.g. "You are now the mole").

Yes, it could, but the mole uses wcs_centertell which is the actual centertell that you remember from CS:S, the centertell refered to here is just the standard one, so this message will appear in your hint message on spawn. Thereby not intervene with any other things, my biggest concern would be showdamage, but since the spawnprotection is turned off by firing your weapon, activating ability or ultimate then this should not pose an issue either. :-)

I would recommend having one command on spawn that prints to the chat box You have x seconds of spawn protection.

The reason why I suggest it should be in the hint area of the screen is because it is not used frequently, and it will dissappear a few seconds after the message is printed. Moving the messages to the chatbox will leave you with an almost unusable chatbox due to the massive amount of information that woud accumulate there, rendering it almost unusable for people who have no microphone or people who have been muted etc.

You have your ultimate messages there, most of generel messages through es_tell, potentially other plugins and then moving this down that will be printed on every spawn which will take up most likely two lines of text in there too. :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:31:32 PM by Manifest »
"BRAVORA: Bruh it is fucking operation crystal night when you are approving races."

Offline WCS - Wookie

• Level 6 Experienced
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 05:38:47 AM »
You make some good points Manifest,

I am just thinking more about deathmatch servers where this would likely be used.

Also to clarify I would not be saying print one line per second of spawn protection. I would simply put one line on spawn that says you have x amount of spawn protection time and once the spawn protection time runs out then, you are no longer protected.

Offline Muerte

• Administrator
  • Level 7 Expert
  • Crew: Fortitude
    • Fortitude
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »
the centertell refered to here is just the standard one, so this message will appear in your hint message on spawn.

Ah ok, just call in hint message then to avoid confusion :p is it going to be the same for CS:S and CS:GO then?
Anyways why you all code so late? Or early? Don't you guys sleep at all?
Sleep? What's that? Just put a wire up your arse and charge while you code during the night. Doesn't all do that, or is it just me??

Offline Manifest

• Race & effect creator
  • Level 7 Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 01:49:36 PM »
I would simply put one line on spawn that says you have x amount of spawn protection time and once the spawn protection time runs out then, you are no longer protected.

Yes, that is also what I have taken into consideration here, if you are in fact playing on a populated deathmatch server you will most likely not survive long, so you get the first message "You have 2 seconds protection time" and once it runs out you will get "You are no longer protected" giving you two messages plus possibly 2-3 basic messages from your race that menas on every respawn your chat message have been filled up and you would not be able to use your chats for communication on these servers at all. Which is the exact thing we also want to prevent as WCS also puts out a lot of information on it's own.

Ah ok, just call in hint message then to avoid confusion :p is it going to be the same for CS:S and CS:GO then?

I called it centertell in this case because the debate on es_centertell was recently disscussed and how it works in ESS and CSGO :p

But no, it will be an actual centertell in CS:S but I can't see how it will pose a problem there either, the messages dissappear before you can leave your spawn regardless. In addition with either method your chat wont be spammed and this will happen before excebution of blocks regardless, so the mole message will not pose an issue either, the important messages will still be given to the players. :-)

I understand how this basically comes down to preferance, but what I was really asking for with the sentence:
if you have anything to add onto the idea, or can see any issues using this on a regular WCS server. was if you guys out there could see any complications in terms of the addon intervening, interrupting or ruining other skills that I might have overlooked.
I realize now that this might have been unclear and should have been specified, but I hear you guys, and it will be possible to make a config for whether you want it in the hint message or the centertell message or chat, so this will probably be made to fit everyone's personal preferances.

On that note, to get to the thing i'm looking for, can you guys imagine a scenario where this spawnprotection would prevent other wcs functions from working similar to previously mentioned issues such as overwriting of the player's health points, removing their god-mode or messing, removing their invisibility etc.

Offline WCS - Wookie

• Level 6 Experienced
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:27:45 AM »
Sorry for not understanding what you meant Mani  ;D

In response to what you originally intended this thread to be for, no I think that a spawn protection plugin that doesn't change player colour, hp, godmode etc. is a fantastic idea and judging by how you are going to use prehooking should work the correct way, and in my opinion, much better than the existing forms of spawn protection.

I do wonder though, does prehooking the damage prevent all forms of damage, even extra damage? And would skills like succubus hunter's head hunter (skulls) be able to farm skulls through this method?

Offline Manifest

• Race & effect creator
  • Level 7 Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 01:45:06 AM »
Using the prehooking method and traceattack as mentioned will prevent all types of damage from harming the player, that goes for normal damage from bullets, bonus damage on attacks, ultimate damage etc. The player will not be able to take damage from any source until it is toggled off.
Consider it godmode but without the usage of the godmode command itself. :-)

Offline joshtrav

• Level 3 Trained Apprentice
  • www.CEGamer.com
    • Carbon Era Gamer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 03:29:33 AM »
So we had to create our own for this, and some things we took away from it after a few years, that may be of interest to you:

• Messages are rarely read, centertell included
  • We had people complain about getting headshot by a player with spawn protection using it to their advantage

To resolve those, we made players green that were protected (and set their invis to 100% if needed).  We also made it so if a player is shifting their cursor they can still be protected, but if they aim on a player or fire a shot (miss, etc.) we would immediately remove the protection.

Furthermore, a player that takes damage from a player that is protected has that damage mitigated to keep things fair.

Offline Manifest

• Race & effect creator
  • Level 7 Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 11:43:39 AM »
Thank you very much Josh, this is extremely helpful. :)

I will certainly set a possibility for the hosts to disable messages all together then. In terms of the aiming on a player I can see how this might cause a bit confusion at first but I find it to be fair way to handle things.

Coloring wise I have found an alternative that will not cause issues with the general coloring or invisibility, I know it works for CS:S but I will have to test if this is implemented into CS:GO aswell. :-)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:46:10 AM by Manifest »