February 17, 2020, 03:42:31 PM

Author Topic: WC:GO  (Read 3276 times)

Offline Mr.Malinka

• Level 7 Expert
WC:GO
« on: March 03, 2016, 10:17:20 AM »
Hello dear warcraft-source community.
I want to know are we still alive? Your activity is falling bellow zero and this is critical for developing our community and WC:GO mod.
I want to know one fact. If we create wcs mod for CS:GO same example methoed will be it same populat as CS:S?
Thanks for attention

Offline Kami

• Developer
  • Level 7 Expert
  • Pokemon Master!
Re: WC:GO
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 11:21:44 AM »
If you are asking if a WCS for CS:GO (either WC:GO or a more WCS like remake) will ever be as popular and with an active community as CS:S had then I'm afraid the answer is propably no.

Reasons for that:

1. WCS was dead for a pretty long while (also due to the fact that there wasn't a version for CS:GO)

2. CS:GO players mainly play competetive or casual standard maps. It simply does not have the same amount of active alternative game play servers/players

3. Many of the people that were actively developing content here moved on, when the community started to die out.

4. The main factor of WCS popularity came from its super easy usage. Every noob, that didn't know a single thing was able to create a quite decent looking WCS server (even if the races were coded badly).
I think WC:GOs system with python heros is pretty neat, as you can create higher quality races. But on the other hand, look at War3Source. Its a pretty cool plugin too, but just too complicated for noobs to use.
Also I think, people don't really want quality. They want shiny lasers, overpowered races and just fun. Every single attempt I have seen or did myself to create a high quality server failed miserably, as the gameplay just got too complex.

Just imagine what cool stuff one could make if that was not the case. RPG like item drops (weapons, armor etc).
Or attribute system. But that's not what people want I think.

Oh and another thing which I think applies to WC:GO (and I've said that before and have been shunned for) is that people like what they know. Most of the people that have played WCS played it since Pre Orangebox. So having a (seemingly) completely new system may attract new people, but will propably scare the old players away.

€: last note: if you give up on WC:GO (or any development in the WCS direction for that matter) WCS will eventually die out completely. Maybe you should try and see if its possible to connect the abilities of the old WCS and WC:GO. Like beeing able to make python races, but also beeing able to have ini style races too. That way you could propably make this more accessable to new users and silently lead them to python coding, the more experience they gain^^
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:29:54 AM by Kami »

Offline HOLLIDAY

• <Race Maker>
  • Watchdog
  • Level 7 Expert
  • of all the things ive lost i miss my mind the most
    • HOLLIDAYWCS.COM
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 10:22:56 PM »
the more the coding is able to crash the server the more popular it will be  :)

Offline Predz

• Level 7 Expert
  • Warcraft: GO Co-Lead Programmer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 04:34:28 AM »
The very bad thing is that is true.  :(

Currently I am working on an entirely new plugin, due to I have lost quite a lot of my motivation for the WC:GO plugin. If I get round to publishing this plugin, it should be an entirely new concept for CS:GO and I hope you will all enjoy it.

If any of you know of game modellers please let me know, as I am requiring a few models from the old source engine games, and I have no clue how to port them as of yet. Again for this sort of knowledge I am willing to pay. Thanks :)

Offline Kami

• Developer
  • Level 7 Expert
  • Pokemon Master!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 03:31:56 PM »
So does this mean, development on WC:GO is abandoned?

Offline Mr.Malinka

• Level 7 Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 03:31:21 AM »
 I would like to know what race syntax would be appropriate for this mod. Here is my offer (an example of race):

Code: [Select]
[test]
    required = 0
    maximum = 0

restrictmap        = "" #de_, de_dust, awp_lego
    restrictteam       = "" #t, ct, any
    restrictitem       = "" #...
    teamlimit          = 0

author             = ""
    spawncmd           = ""
    deathcmd           = ""
    roundstartcmd      = ""
    roundendcmd        = ""
    allowonly          = ""
    onchange           = ""

numberofskills     = 2
    numberoflevels     = 4
    skillnames         = "Damage|message"
    skilldescr         = ""
    skillcfg           = "attacker|spawn" #attacker, victim, death, kill, spawn, ultimate, ability, ...
    skillneeded        = ""

[[skill1]]
        settings = "chance = 50;damage = 5|chance = 100;damage = 10"
        cmd = "if %chance% then wcs alias test_damage"
        test_damage = "wcs damage %userid% %victim% %damage%;wcs tell %userid% '+ %damage% damage'"
        sfx = ""

[[skill2]]
        settings = "test = 5"
        cmd = "wcs tell %userid% 'Test message';wcs tell %userid% 'Variable test = %test%';wcs alias test_message"
        test_message = "wcs get_name %userid% name;wcs translate_tell %userid% 'test message' test=%test% name=%name%"
        sfx = ""

Offline Mr.Malinka

• Level 7 Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 09:12:40 AM »
Greetings. You are still doesn't answer about race syntax. May I considered like "no one cares cause this is waste of time" ? Your opinions really important for me and help to make a right syntax for races. It will be easy to understood and simply to create new races.
We are trying to create a little parser which simulate work some "es" commands:
    Branch system "IF".
    Math operation system "math".

We are not clearly understood will be this syntax got by majority users. So I attach example of code:
Code: [Select]
    settings = "chance = 50;damage = 9|chance = 100;damage = 10"
    cmd = "if %chance% then wcs tell %userid% '+ %damage% damage';math %damage% * 2;wcs alias test_math"
    test_math = "math %damage% + 5;math %damage% + %damage%;math %damage% / 2"

We are try to exclude "keywords" which forbiden to players (userid, vetim, chance, damage), instead appeal to variable consist in %var_name%.

So I need your advice. Will we continue our tries to create a right syntax or it's just a waste of time ? What you can suggest to simplify or improve our syntax?

Offline Kami

• Developer
  • Level 7 Expert
  • Pokemon Master!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 09:10:15 PM »
I'm not really sure if there is anyone still interested in a new WCS version (I'd like to see it though), but if you want to do it then I think you should stick as close as possible to the old format.

I'm not sure about the %userid% thing, maybe you could try another way (in my WCS for CS:GO I simply wrote an interpreter for the old server_var() stuff), so its easier for people that are used to the Eventscripts WCS.

There are some things you should consider:

For this to work, you will need to create a huge command database (damage, slow, freeze, blind, getplayerlocation etc).

You could try to add some of the advantages of WC:GO to this, like having a custom maximum skill level for each skill in a race.

If you need help with the "IF" interpreter (which I don't really think as you are pretty good with python, but I'm just offering it), I can give you my own version of an IF interpreter I made for my WCS :)

Offline Joao

• Level 7 Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 03:47:04 AM »
I'm not really sure if there is anyone still interested in a new WCS version (I'd like to see it though), but if you want to do it then I think you should stick as close as possible to the old format.

I'm not sure about the %userid% thing, maybe you could try another way (in my WCS for CS:GO I simply wrote an interpreter for the old server_var() stuff), so its easier for people that are used to the Eventscripts WCS.

There are some things you should consider:

For this to work, you will need to create a huge command database (damage, slow, freeze, blind, getplayerlocation etc).

You could try to add some of the advantages of WC:GO to this, like having a custom maximum skill level for each skill in a race.

If you need help with the "IF" interpreter (which I don't really think as you are pretty good with python, but I'm just offering it), I can give you my own version of an IF interpreter I made for my WCS :)

Agreed.. This new wcs is so weird and so different that I can't understand it at all.. also as far as I saw there are no races included.. .-.'

Offline 2569123

• Level 5 Trained Intermediate
  • <3 WCS :)
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 09:44:41 PM »
Hello dear warcraft-source community.
I want to know are we still alive? Your activity is falling bellow zero and this is critical for developing our community and WC:GO mod.
I want to know one fact. If we create wcs mod for CS:GO same example methoed will be it same populat as CS:S?
Thanks for attention
Nice to meet you, Malinka)